Friday, September 5, 2008

Friday Night

I had an interesting lunch today with Mr. and Mrs. Kim, they took me to another American style restaurant. Mr. Kim kept asking me if I like pork cutlet. I have been hearing about this a lot lately, in class when I ask the students what their favourite food it so many of them say "pork cutlet". We opted for the fish lunch speacial, a cream soup, salad and fried fish (with kimchi and pickled radish - like all meals). Mr. Kim left and went to immigration for me. This left Mrs. Kim and I, which was nice she is a lot of fun. Mr. and Mrs. Kim are complete opposites - he is nice, reserved, serious and strict, she is a lot of fun, loves children, beer and karaoke.

Today was not a bad day for teaching I was able to use the same card games for most classes because they were ones that I didn't have yesterday. My last two hours were two 50 minute "conversation classes" these ones are more challenging because they are longer and are with older kids. The first one was with only two students who are very keen on learning how to write essays so I whipped out Mrs. Toews' essay skeleton. Her crazy skeleton has helped me more often than I ever thought it would, maybe the most valuable thing I learned in high school. The last group that I had is my toughest one, they are hard to keep focused, on the spot I came up with a trivia game - boys against girls, I wrote a category on the white board and they had to take turns naming something in that category (colours, animals, food, occupations, etc) when one team can't answer or repeats a word the other team gets a point. They love games. Next I made them play the game "I went to the store and I bought _______" alphabetically each person has to finish that sentence, the next player repeats what was said and adds to the sequence. I was relieved that this took the entire period.

Now it's Friday night, I was hoping to get out but I am tired and a little too nervous to venture out on my own. Hopefully tomorrow in the daytime I will learn how to get downtown and then will not be so scared. I guess I will stay in.

1 comment:

jenny from the box said...

sounds like you make a great teacher!!! I'm so proud!!