Thursday, September 4, 2008

Grapes and Heineken

Koreans pay way more attention to detail than Canadians do. Before class this afternoon I walked down the street with Cloudia to get my pictures taken. The photographer did not speak any English, he sat me down on a small stool, very gently he flattened my hair, lifted my glasses, adjusted my sweater, removed a piece of lint and went behind the camera to take my picture. I guess I did not smile right because he came over and adjusted my mouth and lips and later the positioning of my head. This made me think about getting my grad pictures done at Wal-Mart, the photographer there was so careless, she did not take any time at all.

In every one of my classes today I used the farmyard animal flash cards that I bought at Dollarama before I left - they saved me. The younger students were asked to tell me the names of the animals and then we sat on the floor and played memory. For the older students I made up a game that was similar to 'Go Fish' - this seemed to go over well with them.

The other teachers are starting to open up, today over lunch one teacher told me how much she likes maektchu, beer, I was shocked because this teacher seemed so innocent. She told me she was "Queen of maektchu"! We decided that one night we will all go out and party! I can't wait! Another teacher, offered to take me out on Sunday and show me around - she is one of my favourites, she has been helping me out so much with everything! I am excited for the weekend!

I stayed after class today and corrected Wendy's essay for an essay competition. While I was working with her Mr. Kim gave me my pictures that he had picked up for me -they look creepy I am sure they were airbrused or something. He also gave me two huge bunches of grapes, I remember mentioning that I liked grapes earlier that day. I am sure these people think that I am not eating enough, they are so thoughtful. I had grapes and Heineken for dinner.

No comments: